The Avebury cycle with Michael Dames

On Saturday 24th March, just past the Equinox I met one of my hero's, Michael Dames. I first read The Silbury Treasure by Michael, and had to get my hands on The Avebury Cycle straight afterwards, really though I would recommend any of his writing. The guy is amazing.

On this occasion Michael had been invited to a moot organised rom the switched on guys from the network of Ley hunters, a great bunch an a three day Avebury trip. I joined them with some friends for the Saturday, beginning with Michael performing a Plough Jag play in the center of the circle, using us to replace missing and fallen stones, and to get right into his Avebury theories, which literally we're brought to life from the pages of Michael himself.

An added bonus and great honor for me was to help Michael by becoming one of his Bulls, along with another game chap. OK, so maybe I felt a slight twinge of embarrassment initially while putting on this cardboard mask but this was Michael dames, and he neded bulls! Maybe you had to be there but believe me it made sense at the time. I guess maybe being a Taurus this suited my archetype.

During the day we walked from the Avebury circles to Silbury, taking in all perspectives, then across the G.55 early neolithic site (the center of the see saw between life and death, Silbury being life and West Kennett long barrow, death, waiting on the other side of the hill) stopping at a sadly dry Swallowhead and onto the magnificent West Kennett over the hill. The water usage and demand from Swindon has apparently effected the water table locally, that and two winters has meant that Swallowhead is compromised but I hope that this isn't the end of the story for this very special place.

You don't have to be concerned with modern consumer lifestyles, climate change or a member of a transition town to be concerned with seeing a dry spring. It does say a great deal about where we are now, what we are as a nation choosing to do with our resources, and Michael really brings this home by pitching a cyclical view of resources, the world and nature in opposition to supposed progress.

A truly amazing day with an incredibly inspirational person, thank you Michael.

Comments

nan said…
wonderful, matt! i had seen some of the pictures you'd posted on FB, but i loved reading the whole story here. thank you!
Mia Shargel said…
I was so delighted to stumble on this and your pictures. Michael Dames is one of my heroes, too. His books live in the bookcase beside my bed as "open it anywhere" favorite reading, and his insights have opened my mind to how many resonances of Neolithic religion are still with us, evident in a thousand stories,legends, places, games and superstitions. I envy you your day, but am so grateful that you shared the pictures!

Mia, Tallahassee, Florida
It was a wonderful day Mia, Michael was a true gent and a huge inspiration.

Popular Posts